Thursday, June 29, 2006

Münster:

Im slowly but surely yielding to temptation after 4 long weeks of struggle. I dont know if I have resigned to fate, or perhaps I have utterly NO self discipline. I cringe at the thought of how fat I will be in 3 weeks' time (or 17 days to be exact) after eating and stuff like that. Despite such possible notions, I still welcome German food (and all other possible types of food) with wide open arms.

So much happened today.
First, I told my family that I wont be back for mein Abendessen (dinner) cause I intended to go shopping. Instead, I went to the strawberry farm to pick strawberries! They were yummilious! It was a brand new experience for me. I was plucking the berries and eating them simultaneously! I know many have already done such stuff before.. But I havent.. So I was really quite fascinated. Being gay, glee and happy is an understatement to describe how Im feeling now! Yea. You get my drift.

After that, I walked around the city with Liz and decided to take the late night bus home. (Their night rider starts around 8pm)! I expected the night rider to go by the same route (20 min) but in the end, it took another turn instead of the regular one. I took an hour to reach home! I felt quite bad cause I told my family I will be home by 9 odd. I only reached home close to 11!

That aside, I was actually quite scared when the bus took a different route (it passed through cemetries and campsites). So I rushed to the driver and asked him if it actually goes to my place (in English). But that old retard replied me in German! Absurdism! I didnt even understand a shit. So I tried, at full intellectual capacity, to speak to him in Deutsch. Mein Gott! It sounded totally horrendous and hilarious! But good.. And to my surprise.. He actually understood. He gave this really long, long, complicated reply.. And I caught only the 'ja' word (which means yes in german). I got quite irritated actually.

In order to clarify, I asked him again... 'Dieser Bus goes to Otto Hersing Weg. Ja oder Nein'. (this bus goes to Otto Hersing Weg. yes or no?) And he gave the same long reply. What the hell. I walked away and asked the passengers instead. Anyway, the bus did go to Otto Hersing Weg in the end. Thank God, thank God! Ive never felt so alone and lost in a foreign country before. But thank God everything went well and I am back home safely.

When I came back, I had every intention of going down to change, blog and sleep. I think I really need lotsa energy for school. The lessons are hell boring. It takes more energy to pay attention during lessons than think (I sometimes feel). Anyway, I thought since I didnt get much shopping done today, I will probably do it tomorrow. So, I went up, after changing, to tell the family that I will be back late and will not be having dinner tomorrow as well.

At the same time, I asked them for the recipe to cook Deutsches curry with Wurst (so that I will be able to cook for my fellow Singaporeans when I am back). The topic of food really interest them. The father, the mother and I ended up in this whole long discussion about typical german food.

Incidentally, I was learning about German food today in school. I absorbed almost nothing in the 4 hours. Yet, during the half hour talk with the family, I thought I learnt so much, so much more than what was being taught in school.

Okay. Back to the conversation. They started to introduce me to the different kinds of german food. They were saying that its really hard to cook german stuff for me cause I am seldom home for dinner and that I eat really little (haha, what rubbish. I am being weight conscious. that doesnt mean i cant eat). So I told them I will definitely be back when they decide to cook to a Deutsches meal. Yum.. And being the hospitable them, they said they will cook Klopse for me on Friday during the German match against Argentina and some Schnit (er..) on Sunday! Marvellious! I am damn happy about that! Oh btw, the Schnit thing is full of fats. Youre basically eating pork with fats.

Anyhow, after much thinking and pondering, I decided to extend my weight allowance to 5kg. I am allowing myself to put on 5 kg before returning to Singapore. My rational being... If I dont eat free german food here, then when will my next chance of eating pure german food be? No one in Singapore will be able to cook german food for me. And the thing is- I really love german sausages and stuff like that! So yea. I had better make use of these last 17 days.

Not *too* long ago, I felt really bread-sick. So, I went to eat a piece of white bread and half a piece of my favourite Deutsches bread . Then, I went to the wine cellar and ate my kit kat Peanut butter Chunky. I finished the entire bar! I am feeling really full and guilty, and above all... feeling FAT now!

Peanut Butter Kit Kat was given to me (free of charge) in London. It is newly introduced in Europe and I suppose they were distributing it to the masses to create some sorta awareness. I loved it! Brilliant. Singaporeans, please try. Its damn nice.

I decided to heck about my weight as long as I am here. I dont think I can be truly happy if I were to be so concerned about my weight all the time. I guess as long as I LOSE them when Im back in Singapore, I will be okay with it. But one things for sure, 5kg is definitely not easy to lose. Oh well. The joys of eating come with a heavy price.

Thought about the 5kg thing before eating my Kit Kat today. After much consideration, I decided that I am willing to pay the price. You know, I dont get to travel to Germany all the time and live with a host family (and get free food) yah? Since I am here, I think I will just make full use of the opportunity.

Will be going to eat more fish tomorrow = more oil = more fat = more money = more weight. Haha! But well, I am going anyway. A lover of the Deutsches bread, I think I will really miss it if I dont try it. Lunch today was sehr gut! Two kinds of bread stuffed with mayo, onions, new and old Herring. There was so much cream that I will put on 1 kg cause of it.

My project for this immersion is about the Beer and the Bread in Germany! How cool is that?! I hope to be more familiar with the different kinds of beer and bread asap. It would be a pity if I dont learn their names! Realistically speaking, I dont think I will be able to master most of their names, but oh well. I just wanna learn a small minority of them. I dont even know any names right now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singapore:

Me: I wont be coming back for dinner tomorrow cause I will be back late.
My Host Family-Mum: You will be back late?
Me: Er ya. Cause I wanna get some shopping done.
Mum: Do you want the house keys?
Me: Oh no. Its okay. I will be back around 9 odd... When the shops are closed.
Mum: Okay, sure!

Given the Singaporean context..........

Me: I wont be coming back for dinner tomorrow cause I will be back late.
My real mum: What time? Where are you going? Who are you going with?
Me: Friends la. I dont know what time. Probably before 11 la. Anyway I also cant come back after 11 right.
Mum: You better come back before 11. Everyone is tired and the maid needs to sleep. We cant be waiting for you. We have to work the next day.
Me: Ya. (walks away with absolutely nothing to say)

Haha, but still, I love my real Singaporean family!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a damn long post, eh? (:

No comments:

Post a Comment