Friday, June 30, 2006

Unglaublich (which translates to 'unbelievable')! Yesterday, I said I will leave some room for weight increment because I believe, with great conviction, that it is worth trying the different kinds of Deutsches food. It will be a pity if I were to return to Singapore without much knowledge on how typical German food tastes like. So da.

Since I am less preoccupied with putting on more weight now, I feasted, binged and gobbled down lotsa food that Ive always wanted to try in Münster since day 1. It is coming as a shock to me now that I am recapitulating it.

Food intake on 29/6/06:

Breakfast: 1 Banana (I feel constipated here!) and 1 cup of coffee. (saving 'space' in the stomach for more yummilious food consumption later during the course of the day)
Lunch: Shelled and unshelled rice, salmon (I took half from this really huge portion), some kind of fish, bagette and curry sausage.
Dinner: 3 pieces of Herring in olive oil, fish and chips (lotsa, lotsa chips), 1 bottle of coca cola lemonde, 1 medium sized portion of pizza.

Mind you, thats hell of a lot lah. I am so gonna put on weight lah. But whatever lah.

I dont know what came over me to indulge in so much good food. The salmon was oh so good that I thought I was in heaven. Secondly, Ive been wanting to eat chips since I was in Italy. Everyone in Europe eats chips and ice cream like nobody's business. Its such a lovely sight to see old men and ladies holding a cone of ice cream and enjoying the sweetness and the coldness of it. It just brings to mind how seemingly carefree and happy these old people are. Im starting to think that an ice cream holds the connotation of freedom. It is a joy to watch them eat. It is so wonderful how an ice cream can be so closely associated with young children and their brightly litted smiles.

Okay. I was disgressing. So I allowed myself a packet of fish and chips. I wouldnt have bought the cola in normal Singaporean circumstances. But it was Cola Limonade here. Different. Also, I was really thirsty and yea.. I decided to heck about weight for that moment.

I ate, and ate, and ate. Binged, and binged and binged. I know I am gonna suffer for this. I think I am truly at the mercy of good food! Its ridiculous I tell you. I promise myself to eat lesser tomorrow. But oh schade! The family is cooking Klopse for me. Schade! I cant diet tomorrow. Ah but oh well. Its okay. I will just eat whatever I wanna eat.

My stomachs really fat now. Some people say its not okay to put on weight. Some say its okay. Hmm. Is it really ok? Or not? Perhaps my justification to the allowance in weight increment is only for self-consolation. (after being in such a pitiful state)

But. The important thing is- I felt really happy today. It has been a long time (with the exception of the picnic under the eiffel tower) since I ate so freely. Trust me, it IS a great feeling when you eat whatever you want to eat. Haha!

Enough about food.
We had a new teacher today. He is A GAZILLION times better than that stupid first teacher. At least I get to learn interesting stuff about the language today lah. I had a fun time in class. He'll be taking us tomorrow as well. Haha! So I guess I wont be dreading school tomorrow morning. Sehr gut! I love lessons which are productive! In all honesty, I understood only about half of the things he said. The class was equally clueless as well. His entire lesson was in German. Haha! But it was a great pleasure listening to him speak and ask questions. I always give a really blank look and expect the teachers or my host family to explain to me in English. Haha!

As the days go by, I am starting to speak more German. This evening, I was communicating with the fish stall lady in German cause she couldnt understand English. We had lotsa problems understanding each other (Naturally!).
But oh well. I really love speaking German to the Germans. Imagine their puzzled look when I speak to them! Haha! But I am slowly but surely learning how to speak more fluently (I think).

People only understand me when I ask for directions in German. I am often lost.. (yes, even after walking in the city for days!) So I ask the people there for directions all the time. That is the ONLY time when there is NO communication breakdown between both parties.

Anyway, I wanna turn in soon. I wonder why there are so many mosquitoes in my room. Argh. I need to spray the insect thing now. So goodnight people of Singapore! Thats all for my day and my mad weight increment after tonight.
I will be home in 15 days' time. Really sad about that though. Im starting to love my lessons, my temporary family and this place. And of course, the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment